Small Exhibition Visit - 19.5.22

 


During the start of my summer break, a family member of mine hosted his own exhibition. His name is Ed, and he is my dad's cousin. In the art scene he goes by Kid Acne, and is very well known for a bunch of things, including illustration as well as music. This exhibition was held in a small café in Tynemouth and showcased a lot of pieces that he had created in collaboration with certain companies.








Some of the designs where really cute and I really enjoyed in particular these T-shirt designs, that I actually purchased the black one. The black with teal was my favourite out of the two as I felt that the teal really popped out on the black compared to the white. One thing I liked about the design overall was the combination of two characters being in one, it sort of felt like looking at an optical illusion, seeing which image you see first, the boy character, or the fish. 
 
This style of typography is very prominent throughout Kid Acne's work, and is very stylised to his own style and is a staple to his brand and his name. At this exhibition I found out how he creates these large scale pieces, and found it was with a template that he cut out of card and spray paint. This typography is very bubbly and reminds me a lot of the graffiti art you see around town quite often. The bright coloured background adds a really nice pop of colour behind the black and white, making it look as though it is shooting out of the background.


My favourite piece out of the entire exhibition was this mermaid drawing, I really like the sketchiness of the linework as well as the simplistic style she is drawn in. The composition of it being centred with some text beneath it is very balanced, and honestly influenced me to want to do something similar in the future. This doodle like style is something I would really like to look into doing myself within my own artwork as I really enjoy the outcomes of them, especially combined with bright colours. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists of Influence - Caroline Frumento