Artists of Influence - Gemma Flack
Gemma Flack
Gemma Flack is a non-binary queer tattoo artist who advocates on the themes of identity, vulnerability, gender, mental health, queerness, self discovery and coming to terms with life. They create zines as well as DIY publishing along with their tattoo work. In my opinion I really enjoy Gemma Flack’s work, their work has a great message of activism as well as they are a good influence for young LGBTQ+ teens as well as anyone who is struggling with finding themselves and their identity. Flack has a very cute and bubbly style, which to me is very pleasing to look at. Their style is unique to them and only emphasises their enthusiasm for art and tattooing. Throughout their artwork the formal elements are used, including line. Flack uses a lot of thin lines and single lines to create the form of whoever or whatever they are drawing. A lot of their line work is is quite flowing and free, even In their tattoos they are able to create lines that flow by themselves. Flack also uses line to create tiny details such as fur or feathers, to give the effect they are fluffy. This is an method that I love a lot in Flack’s work.
Another element is colour, colour in Flack’s work is often bright and uplifting, it often brings a nice finishing
touch to their work. in some of Flack’s work they use colour as a shadow or highlight, and this is primarily on their
tattoos instead of in their illustrations or zines.
Next I’d like to mention their tonal work. Tone in Flack’s work is quite subtle and In some cases not incorporated
at all. When tone is brought into their work, it’s usually quite subtle or layered. They usually use a darker shade of the colour
underneath and layer that darker shade on top. Some of Flack’s tattoos have a basic, uncrowded composition involving one or
two figures, usually animals. However when they create a more busy piece they are able to space out and compose the tattoo to
include just enough elements to make it whole and this can include pops of colour and small line pieces. I specifically enjoy Flacks
tattoo work, and although I don't personally want to work with tattoo's I am influenced by the line work that is included and know
that it could translate well to an inking method.
Overall I believe Flack’s work is very cute and stylised, I particularly love the way they create and draw animals as I feel they are
adorable and pleasing to look at.
Comments
Post a Comment