Artists of Influence - Sabrina Cotugno

 

Sabrina Cotugno – 30/03/22





 

Sabrina Cotugno is a director, writer and storyboard artist who has worked on cartoons such as the owl house, Star vs the forces of evil and Gravity falls. Cotugno is also the creator of a comic called The Glass scientists, which is where I first came across their artwork. Their comic has meant a lot to me through the years and is one of my all-time favourite pieces of media, I also used to watch a lot of the shows they worked on when I was younger.

              Cotugno has a very cartoony style that has a lot of simplistic elements to it, they use a lot of techniques such as cell shading to give their artwork both a detailed and minimalistic style. Something I personally take from a lot of their work is their use of line art and colouring, I really adore their colouring style as it is something I would really like to use to influence my own illustration style. A lot of their illustrations are created digitally, another reason why I would like to use their artwork as a big inspiration, as the way they work with their sketches and rendering processes is similar to how I personally would also like to work. One of my favourite elements of their rendered pieces is the lighting and how they portray light and shadow throughout their work.

              Cotugno’s compositions are some of my favourites, the way they create their comic compositions is helpful to a reader as they have found a way to make even busy scenes easy to follow. Cotugno’s comic has really inspired me to want to start my own comic as the flow of the story and the way the panels proceed on from each other.

              Cotugno’s character designs are visually appealing as despite the world they are in, they still provide a realistic outlook and give off the vibe that they are like real people, Cotugno’s designs fit the time period of the story well and provide simplistic symbolisms for foreshadowing purposes. I would really like to take influence from Cotugno’s designs and use their design processes in my own character designs are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artists of Influence - Caroline Frumento